A sore throat can be many things. It can be a sign of a cold, strep, or just plain irritation. We have many ways that you can remedy a sore throat at home.
- Take an anti-inflammatory (NSAID): It can help relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and help with a fever if you have one
- Gargle saltwater: water mixed with salt can help reduce swelling as well as loosen mucus and remove irritants and bacteria.
- Lozenge and Sprays: drops can help moisten the throat. Both lozenges and sprays can provide a cooling and numbing sensation as well
- Cough Syrup: even if there is no cough, syrup can help alleviate a sore throat by coating it.
- Drink plenty of fluids: this helps keep mucus membranes wet and combat the cause of the sore throat.
- Tea or other hot beverages: these can offer immediate soothing relief. Some teas also include ingredients that boost the immune system
- Soup: chicken soup may seem cliche, but the hot broth soothes and also sodium in broth may have anti-inflammatory properties. Its also a great way to eat and receive nourishment without hard to swallow foods
- Rest: this is always helpful when sick. A well rested body can fight off an ailment better.
- Antibiotics: should your sore throat be caused by something such as strep throat, an antibiotic prescribed by a doctor can help.
If you’re experiencing symptoms of a sore throat, visit AFC Urgent Care Waltham. We can diagnose and treat your illness with no appointment needed! We offer convenient hours, accept all walk-ins, and have little to no wait. Visit us today at 1030 Main St in Waltham MA or call us at 781-894-6900