With all of the winter storms we’ve already had and with such a long winter still ahead of us, we here at AFC Urgent Care in Waltham, MA want to provide you with some useful tips to make sure you are prepared and stay safe during winter storms.
- Make sure you have an “emergency kit” prepared in your home or car with items like bottled water, non-perishable food, blankets, a flashlight, and first aid items. You may also want to keep extra prescription medicine in this kit.
- Check that your snow shovels and car snow brushes are easily accessible and in good working condition.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated, as to prevent frozen pipes from bursting and heat from escaping, especially in the event of a power outage.
- If you must go outdoors, dress in several warm layers including gloves or mittens, a scarf, and a hat.
- Take frequent breaks and come in from the cold, frostbite can occur in a matter of minutes especially with wind chills below zero.
- Wear solid shoes that have a non-slip sole when stepping out to prevent slips and falls.
- Keep hydrated and drink plenty of water when shoveling, the cold weather often masks signs of exhaustion.
- Do not over exert yourself when shoveling especially those with heart conditions or back injuries which can be aggravated when removing heavy snow.
- Help out elderly neighbors or relatives with shoveling and snow removal as it is often times difficult and even dangerous for them.
Keep in Mind:
- During the storm stay off the road to allow plow crews to do their job more effectively.
- Even after the snow has stopped falling, the roadways and sidewalks will still be slippery so use caution when traveling. Even if you are following the posted speed limit, you should slow down when roads are less than ideal.
- Roads will often refreeze the night after a storm when temperatures fall so be cautious of black ice that isn’t always visible upon first glance.
- It is also possible that power lines will have been downed in the storm and are covered in snow, so be extra cautious especially when inspecting your property (and trees) for damage.
Even though we are tough New Englanders winter storms often give us more than we can handle. AFC Urgent Care in Waltham is here for you this winter and always – 7-days a week from 8am-8pm at our 1030 Main Street, Waltham, MA location.